Monday, September 13, 2010

Today was my first day as a teacher.

I don't feel any different (maybe more tired), but I hope this is the beginning of something wonderful.

The day was chaotic, but the kids were awesome. Being the first day, they were on their best behavior.

It is nice to go into a new school where none of the teachers know the students- no one has made any judgments, the slate has been wiped clean.

Not many of the students know each other, either, since they came from all different places. Everything is fresh and new.

I have no idea how I'm going to learn all 270 of my students' names. Yikes. I have no idea how I'm going to keep the hundreds (and hundreds) of pieces of paper organized.

I heard many things I wasn't expecting- things that reminded me that I am teaching in the heart of the city, that many of these kids have many obstacles to face outside of my classroom. I also heard things that reminded me that kids are kids, no matter where they are.

All in all, a good day that gave me a lot to consider.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it was a good day. You'll learn the names pretty fast. I have about 800, and if I can do it, you most definitely can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you and look forward to hearing the funny, and maybe not-so-funny stories you post about your days at school!

    ReplyDelete