Monday, June 13, 2011

I gotta say, this year has been amazing. I know I sometimes complain and feel burnt out about school, but my students are overwhelmingly awesome. Take the project kids at my school have been working on- they are using social and public media to educate their community about food and health issues. East LA is a food desert- which is defined my wikipedia as any area in the industrialised world where healthy, affordable food is difficult to obtain. It is prevalent in rural as well as urban areas and is most prevalent in low-socioeconomic minority communities, and is associated with a variety of diet-related health problems.

All the eleventh graders at the school have been working tirelessly to come up with ways to change this reality- and one of the incredible things they've done is create a marketing campaign which will be airing on our city's public transportation system. Yowzer!

Here are some of the videos they have made:

Have You Noticed How Far You Have to Go to Get to a Supermarket? from Public Matters on Vimeo.



and

Have You Noticed How Often You Eat Fast Food? from Public Matters on Vimeo.



My students are truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment