Monday, March 29, 2010

The darker side of crafting

Thank you all for your kind comments. This quilt was quite an undertaking, but it was also a labor of love. I thought of my niece with every stitch.

But there is a darker side of such a long (2 1/2 months!), labor intensive project- and that darker side looks a little bit like this (cue sinister music):


Yes, my friends. I became a wee bit negligent about putting things back in their proper place once I'd used them. Also, I began chronically forgetting to take my reusable grocery bags to the store, which explains the overflow of plastic grocery bags.

Once I finished the quilt, I knew I would have to address this ever-growing problem. But it required making some tough decisions. Which scraps of fabric to keep? How many plastic bags to recycle? Richard suggested that I just store the things there wasn't room for in the garage, but I knew they would just take up space out there, only to be donated/tossed the next time we moved.

That's the problem with holding on to "things": they get out of control. So here's the new, much more under control craft closet. I can breathe again.



2 comments:

  1. It looks like you have lots of storage for more stuff now, not sure if that's a good thing or not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin' good - I'm inspired! I have to know what you have stored in the coffee tin. I'm always trying to think of reasons to keep those. And did you notice they carry that type again at TJ!

    ReplyDelete