Sunday, August 22, 2010

There are lots of things about schools in California that just blow my mind. Here are the top ten so far (I am sure there are many more to come):

10. In every high school I've visited, there is only one lunch period.

9. This is possible because almost without fail, the "cafeterias" are outside. Kids are allowed to roam pretty much as they please.

8. High schools in LA don't use lockers because of drugs and/or weapons. Teachers can use the lockers for storage, though, in the older schools that have lockers.

7. While there is typically a loose (often unenforced) dress code, it is nothing like the dress codes in Texas. Facial piercing, anyone? No? How about a hat, then? Neon mohawk?

6. Many schools have a "Nutrition" period, which is basically a 20 minute snack time. I found out they do this so they can get one more meal for the kids who are on free and reduced lunch.

5. Many kids will take public transportation a ridiculously long way to get to school (more than an hour, people!), especially if the school they are attending is perceived as "better."

4. Every high school has a "Dean's Office." From what I can tell, this is basically a principal who just handles discipline. When you get sent there, you know you are in big trouble.

3. Many of the buildings I've visited are literally falling apart. I never realized how privileged I was to attend a school whose walls were painted nearly every year.

2. Classes are often enormous. Like, 50 students enormous.

1. Because of the incredibly strong union, it's against the rules to have a dress code for teachers. What?! This one really blows me away.

Are any of these especially surprising to you?

6 comments:

  1. Yes on all:). There are so many things that we are discovering in contrast to our regional understanding as we move about the country. Lots of things with schools, housing, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No dress code for teachers? I just thought teachers could wear whatever they wanted in the movies. I can only wear jeans on Fridays with a school shirt that has to be tucked in. I'm not sure what I'd do with that kind of freedom! I hope you have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The non-dress code would be so nice! And the lockers for teacher storage sounds nice to me as well. I think it would be very cool to have lunch outdoors daily because that just means the weather is that awesome! I look forward to hearing about your funny classroom stories! Oh and I love your new haircut! (I'm all about exclamation points today.) ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha. Nice list. I can relate to 9 and 10, we had a cafeteria, but a large clique had claimed it, so I never went in. Unfortunately, we had a very strict dress code and our teachers weren't union so they had a dress code as well. Are you telling me the whole country doesn't get morning snack/break time? What a bummer! Although, as I remember we used to get ours suspended because of a school tradition to throw milk cartons at Freshman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine traveling an hour to get to a school, especially on public transportation. At Scott's previous school, most of the students used public transportation but that's because it was a charter school, and there wasn't any transportation provided by the school. 50 students in a class?!? I can't even imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. traveling an hour to school, eating lunch outside and all at one time, and loose dress codes are things i am rather familiar with. no dress code for teachers - really? that one is very very interesting!

    ReplyDelete