Saturday, August 21, 2010


This morning I won some major points with my principal by being the only teacher to volunteer to help hand out flyers to promote our school at the East LA Farmer's Market.

What I discovered is it is very hard to convince someone to go to a different school. For example,

Me: Are you in high school?
Student: Yes (looks at me like I am a creepster)
M: I'm a teacher at *School*, and I wanted to talk to you about how awesome *School* is going to be this year. Have you enrolled at a school yet?
S: Yes, I'm going to *Other School*
M: Well, you should think about *School*. We have a brand new building, the best teachers, lots of activities, cool technology, etc. (Hands over a flyer) You should think about if you want to be overcrowded over at *Other School*.
S: (Takes flyer and basically runs away)

Yikes! I felt a bit like I was on one of those mandatory evangelism trips at the mall. But, I did get a killer pupusa out of the deal, so all awkward conversations aside, I think I came out ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment