Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

This year I made one overarching resolution (to create more balance in my life) made up of several sub-resolutions. So here's an update on my sub-resolutions.

-Cook dinner at least once a week.
Pathetic, I know. But baby steps, people. This resolution has been successful so far. I have not only cooked at least once a week in the two weeks since returning from school, but THREE times a week. The plan is that I don't cook on Mondays (since my night class keeps me out until about 9:00). I cook a hunk of meat in the crock pot on Tuesday. I love the crock pot. When I get home on Tuesdays, dinner is already done! Wednesdays I make something that is pretty quick (like tacos, pasta, hummus...). Thursdays, I use the leftovers from Tuesdays hunk-o-meat to make something in the crock pot (soup, a casserole, whatever). Friday nights, either Richard cooks something or we go out to eat. So I've managed to maintain this for two whole weeks! Hooray!

-Incorporate more exercise in my life.
I've had to really force myself here because I am a naturally sedentary person. I really loathe exercise, with the exception of water aerobics (which, let's face it, isn't exactly physically challenging). So I've been doing the couch to 5k program, and it's going well! I try to run at least twice during the week (Tuesday night and Thursday/Friday nights) and then once or twice on the weekends (Saturday and/or Sundays). And hey, I'm doing it, and I have a lot more energy lately. Running is stress relieving- I sometimes picture smashing my feet into a particular night class or class I teach- and it's not too painful. Rich and I are registered for a 5k on April 9, so that's giving us something concrete to work toward.

-Spend less time working on the weekends.
I've changed the way I grade this semester, and it has seriously cut the amount of time required to get all my student's work graded (at least in half). So yeah, this is working well. I still have the eighty-bajillion hours of work required for my night class. Sigh. April 2012, you cannot get here soon enough.

-Read more.
I've started listening to books on tape on my way to work, which is pleasant. Since I am home more during the week (after quitting my part-time job), I have more time to read. And since Rich is back at school and reading approximately 800 books per week, it's much easier to read than turn on the TV. I've been finishing about 2 books per week (plus one book on CD) which is awesome!

-Be less anti-social, and make it a point to see people I don't work with.
Last weekend, Rich and I went to a party AND hosted a party. So, yeah. This is good.

The end. How are YOUR New Year's Resolutions working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment