Sunday, September 13, 2009

I've been reading Lucy Maude Montgomery's Anne books- right now I'm on Anne of Windy Poplars. I swear, every time I read these books, my life is crowded with Anne Shirley moments. This time is no exception.

This morning at the church we've been attending marked the first Sunday in the liturgical season of Creation. I'm not entirely convinced this is actually a season on the liturgical calendar, but maybe. Any of you high church people know? Anyway, this morning, the pastor spoke about creation and understanding our place within creation. At one point, she articulated that while we have words to describe the slaughter of people (homicide, genocide, suicide, etc.), the words "geocide" and "biocide" (words to describe the slaughter of creation) don't really exist.

I hurriedly scribbled on my bulletin, "Actually, "geocide" is the systematic slaughter of small, hatchback automobiles" and passed it to Richard. He laughed silently, but gave me a look that said, "You're HOW old and you're still writing notes in church?" as he passed the bulletin back to me. I put the bulletin on the seat next to me. Soon the sermon was finished, and we all stood to greet one another. I shook a bunch of hands, passing sufficient amounts of peace as I did so. As I sat back down, I noticed the bulletin next to me was gone. I think the sweet little Asian lady sitting next to me picked up my bulletin by accident when she left. So, likely, somewhere in the world, a sweet, elderly Asian woman is going over her bulletin tonight and is being scandalized by my slightly (but not incredibly) inappropriate joke.

My second Anne Shirley moment is more positive, for I am making friends in California. Living in Dallas truly led me to doubt my ability to make friends- people there are generally stand-offish, and it took me a long time (nearly three years!) to find some kindred spirits. I 'm sad to have left those people behind in Dallas, especially since it took so long to find them! I have found some in Cali already, and I have two! hang-out dates this week with potential new friends. I'm brainstorming potential topics for if the conversation falls flat, but I have a feeling I won't be needing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment