Monday, June 8, 2009

Spoiler alert: This may be an incredibly boring post for those of you who don't knit. Just sayin.

I've been occupying some of my time in Taos by knitting. Let's be honest here, though. Even when home, I occupy a good portion of my time with knitting. I brought a project with me, which I promptly put down in favor of visiting some local yarn shops and finding new projects to work on. Indeed, I'm nothing if not committed.

Here are two projects I have completed while here, though!

This is the Penobscot Silk Lace Scarf from Interweave Knits, worked in Malabrigo Silky Merino, colorway Redwood Bark. It does look like redwood bark, too!





Close up on stitch detail. This was a simple project, and I think it is destined to be a gift to someone. Not sure for whom though.

Second, a pair of socks. I knit all of my socks toe up these days, and I have a standard pattern I follow for the toe and heel. I just insert whatever stitch I like on the top of the foot, and voila, a sock is born. This is a pretty simple 2 x 1 broken rib. I'll be keeping these for myself because 1) the yarn is not machine washable- stupid and impractical for socks, and 2) they're ugly!



I have a terrible habit of buying yarn I don't like- I don't know why. I think I like it at the store, and then when it's knit up, I realize, "Hey, this is ugly!" This yarn, for example, is variegated (which I always hate- screams grandma) and is variegated purple and orange (why??). I hate purple, too. It is Farmhouse Yarns, Fingering weight merino/nylon blend, colorway "Pansy." A more appropriate name might be "communion vomit," if you'd rather.



The rest of the yarn I bought, however, is comprised entirely of winners. These are all my favorite colors right now, and that yellow sock yarn is the softest sock yarn I've ever felt in my life.


Yarn stores visited:
The Yarn Shop
Weaving Southwest

No comments:

Post a Comment